Employment for persons with Down Syndrome continue to be a struggle. There are so many pieces to this puzzle called employment. In some countries, if a person with a disability earns minimum wage or higher, they lose certain government benefits…which sucks. Yet, a lot of our loved ones want that sense of independence…to make their own money (whatever the amount) and spend it how they wish. Therefore, depending on where you live, you have to do what’s best for your loved one.
If your family is in a position where your loved one’s earning is not limited and they have talent in the area of painting or drawing, then I have GREAT news for you! Your loved one can use their paintings and drawings to make money online.
Make Money Online
Redbubble is a website that artists can use and make money from their artistic expressions. Your art can be printed on a wide variety of high quality products (clothing, phone cases, canvas and framed art prints, etc.).
You get your own shop where you can display the products that you have chosen to put your artwork on. Persons visit your shop, make a purchase and chi-ching…you got money in the bank!
- Signing up is free
- You retain the right to your artwork
- No inventory (no need for you to be storing products in your living room). Redbubble handles the payment, printing, shipping & customer service (e.g. if the customer has an issue with their purchase).
- You choose the amount of money you make. Each product has a base price. You choose the margin to add to this base price, thus the amount of money you make.
- Your shop is not your own personal website address. It’s a Redbubble address. However, if you have your own website address, you can connect this with the Redbubble shop address, so that persons can go to your personal website and be re-directed to your Redbubble shop.
Meet Shadeeza Buckley
Shadeeza is an adult with Down Syndrome. She lives on the beautiful island of Jamaica, where she paints, loves to dance and frequently changes the colour of her hair.
Her family needed to find a way to make her artwork available, so that whomever wanted to support her, could easily purchase her art. This is where Redbubble came in. You can check out Shadeeza at:
- Website: www.shadeezabuckley.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shadeezabuckley/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/shadeezabuckley/
Entrepreneurship May Be the Answer
Not all of our loved ones will be able to have a regular job, working set hours. The answer for some of our loved ones will be entrepreneurship. It’s a great feeling for your loved one to know that they have a talent and this talent can be converted to income. It helps with their independence and their self-worth/self-confidence.
So, check out Redbubble.com and see if it can work for your family. We here at HappyDowns wish you all the best!